Christ and Culture April 23
“Apology” for class purpose
- Watermill Multnomah and Convergent Books
- Vines new spiritual leader?
See last weeks class agenda for tolerance examples
Evolution: The Battle for Adam
- Theistic evolution or evolutionary creation
o “Evolutionary creation asserts that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit created the universe and life, including humans, through an ordained, sustained, and intelligent design-reflecting evolutionary process. . . . evolutionary creationists believe that biological evolution is an ordained natural process that God has sustained throughout eons of time (Barrett and Caneday, Four Views On The Historical Adam, (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013), 42-44.).”
o “Speaks of God making Himself known to humans in words and ways suitable for the finite human mind to comprehend. The most significant example in which God accommodates to humankind is found in the coming of Jesus Christ—deity taking human form (Grenz, Guretzki, Nordling, Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, (Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, 1999), 7.).”
- Scientific Concordism:
o The idea that the facts of science should line up with Scripture
- The “Two Books” concept
o The Divine Book of Words and the Divine Book of Works
- Ancient Phenomenological Perspective vs. Modern Phenomenological Perspective
o A way of contrasting what would have been the informed perspective in ancient times with the informed perspective of modern times
- Message/Incident Principle
As an example, this view says that to a thirsty person, the water is the point, the cup is incidental. So, in this evolutionary creationism, accommodation means that God has used methods understandable to us in order to get an eternal truth to us. The means is incidental. For example, the important eternal truth is that God created the heavens and the earth, humanity, the universe. In order to help humankind to get hold of that message, God communicated to the author of Genesis in a way that he could understand but in fact, not what actually happened. Did God lie? No! He accommodated.
- Retrojection: “Adam is the retrojective conclusion of an ancient taxonomy. . . . He is an incidental ancient vessel that delivers numerous inerrant spiritual truths.”
A retrojective conclusion is to look at the evidence and trace your way back to a presumed origin.
- The tension between creationists, evolutionists, evolutionary creationists, and Intelligent Design proponents (which may in some cases be the same as evolutionary creationists)
Stephen C. Meyer clip (start at 38:00)