The Christ who will not worship Satan to gain the world’s kingdoms is followed by Christians who will worship only Christ in unity with the Lord whom he serves. And this is intolerable to all defenders of society who are content that many gods should be worshiped if only Democracy or America or Germany or the Empire receives its due, religious homage [today read: the Church yielding to the state in our present milieu of separation between Church and state].
DA Carson’s examples:
The handout from last week
Paths to an acceptance of gay Christianity
1) Re-translate the text.
See the following website for a treatment of the word physikos in Romans 1 where the writer claims that Paul is actually talking about people operating opposite to the way they were born. Thus, persons not born gay but engaging in homosexual activity are violating God’s law, suggesting to the writer that a gay person in relationship with another gay person is what God intends. All of this because the author claims that the word lying beneath “nature” or “natural” has been mis-translated.
2) Re-interpret the text.
See James V. Brownson’s book, Bible, Gender, Sexuality, where the author reinterprets the texts by recovering the underlying “moral logic” of the text.
3) Apply the text differently in light of modern culture, particularly the view that “loving, monogamous, same-sex” relationship were not in view.
4) Agree with the text but dismiss it for the sake of modern sensibilities.
The Phyllis Tickle interview with Andrew Marin
5) Marginalize the text as non-essential
6) Lessen the importance of the texts by emphasizing love, poverty, acceptance.
7) Re-direct attention from the texts by focusing on what Jesus did not say.
I follow your distinction between pre-marital sex and adultery: in adultery, the partners are betraying their spouses and children. But- when two women love each other, there are no victims like that. I would say that therefore, because there are no victims, the sin is less- or nonexistent. I am delighted that my church lobbied the UK government to allow church weddings for gay people, and the Government will allow that for any denomination which opts in. Many churches will.
Jesus said that if a man look at a woman with lust in his heart, he had already committed adultery. He did not say the same if a man look at a man.
8) Placate the text by compartmentalizing between principle and practice.
See the video featuring Justin Lee, president and founder of the Gay Christian Network
9) Maintaining a neutral position
The end of Evangelicalism as we have known it